Monday, September 22, 2014

Tryst

She said “Baby, this is real love"
And I believed her
Until the evening found us screaming
And I had to leave her
Please don’t believe her
I didn’t mean to break her 
To make her just like me
A bitter young twentysomething
But that’s the way it goes
When your own selfish dreams
Are barely sealed at the seams
I knew I couldn’t love another
Until I learned to love me
But I thought I’d skip a step or two
For temporary company
And look where that left me
Alone the way I’m meant to be
Nothing gained but a new enemy

I wish you didn’t hate me
But hateful’s what the world made me
You may be with another guy
And I, alone entirely
I wish that I could take us back
To my palms on your back
A familiar scene
When it was you and me
We used to live in teenage dreams
Now I just see you mentally
Oh yes, I still find
That you’re still on my mind
But only sometimes
To stand on opposing sides
Of rented homes is our destiny
To awkwardly greet at every party
Where you dance with other guys
And I stand unaccompanied
That’s the way it’s meant to be
You and I weren’t meant to be

But what does “meant to” even mean?
I asked
Can we rewrite the scene?
Well, she said, not easily
It’d take a lot of work, you see
And if I know you -
And I’m sure that I do -
You’d never work that hard on anything

And so I’m once again lonely
Of my own accord, accordingly
I never doubted our chemistry
But it seems I was the wrong piece
Every single day you puzzled me
I don’t know what the hell you mean
You make it all about you
And then you say it’s ‘cause of me
Whatever - it’s over
I’m over it entirely
But I might not be
Your dark cloud’s still over me
The raincloud that follows me
When I look up, you’re what I see
The drops I feel are memories

No comments:

Post a Comment