Monday, September 15, 2014

LouFest 2014 In Review, pt. 4

So, day one was over. Day two, though. Oh man. It was hard to believe going in that I would be seeing OutKast in a few very short hours. But back to the beginning of the day, we started things off with...

Old Salt Union

I'm not the biggest bluegrass fan in my house, but man were these guys good. Fiddles, fiddles everywhere! The upright bass was a nice touch, certainly not something common among the rest of the act. It was a sunny way to start a sunny day.

Unfortunately, we only stayed for a few songs before heading over to Pretty Little Empire and the food stations, and my only video was interrupted by my roommate talking about how proud he was that he used a waterless toothbrush to brush that day. It happens.

So, after some gyros and tacos for good luck, we decided to forego the main stage Empires set in order to get good spots for...

Glass Animals

Given how excited I was for their set, I was maybe most curious about how Glass Animals' trippy sound would translate to a live atmosphere, especially at a paltry 1:30pm time slot. But through the beaming sun and sweaty crowd, the unmistakable guitar strums of "Hazey" penetrated the thick air. Frontman Dave Bayley wasn't shy at all about showing off his falsetto, sounding just as airy and atmospheric as he does on record.

Hit single "Gooey" was an ecstatic sing-along, albeit with much less punch on the drum kick than in the studio version. Similarly, "Toes" had the crowd nodding in agreement with the mantra: "I got toes, and I can smile."

The highlight was - and I still can't believe they actually played this - a funked-out cover of Kanye West's "Love Lockdown" formerly confined to a b-side on the "Gooey" single. The lads brought their all into the left-of-center rendition complete with bass plucks and "ahhh-OOH" harmonies.


We actually had the pleasure of meeting Dave after the set, and I thanked him personally for "Love Lockdown". A very nice guy. This caused us to be a bit late, but we still showed up a few songs into...

Portugal. The Man

I had missed the Portugal set in Columbia last year, so I was anticipating this one as we headed over to the tune of "Purple Yellow Red & Blue". Due to how tired we were after Glass Animals, however, Portugal became a chill set to which we swayed from sitting spots just outside of the crowd. Their loud pop-rock carried far beyond the reaches of the main stage, with the opening synths of "Modern Jesus" ringing clear even from the water station across the park.

Some bands just work well on a main stage, and Portugal fit the bill. Opting to play hits like "Purple" early on, the remainder of the set was comprised mostly of deep cuts, proving the prowess of what some may have called a one trick pony.

Just when I thought I had Portugal's set pinned down as just another festival-rock show, they changed my tune with one of the funniest cover moments of the festival - "Dayman" from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I'm not really sure how to describe just how great this was. Luckily, I have video:



We skipped out on Young & Sick in order to secure good seats at the main stage. I'll continue shortly with my reviews of Trombone Shorty and Cherub!

No comments:

Post a Comment