Saturday, December 20, 2014

Home for the Holidays

Ironic
That this place where I grew up
The room in which I came of age
This house - so big
And this town - so small
Though shrouded in memory
- each annal with its own story -
And housing those I love

Ironic, it is
That out this window
The very window out of which
Countless nights I laid awake
And asked the moon my fortune
As teenage angst did sweep my heart
Out this window
All I see
Is dying branches
Browned arms of lifeless trees
A graveyard boreal

Ironic
That I only visit here in winter
A lifeless time of year
Though cozy in a bed of love
Encircled in my family’s warmth 
Outside, there is only cold
And gazing out my window
- a man, no more a boy -
All I see are withered memories
Disparate reminders
Of time’s steady gait

A westward wind howls
It’s time to move on
This place
Though here my family stays
Is not my home
And once they leave
I’ll close my blinds
And I won’t look back

No comments:

Post a Comment